Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mark Bauerlein

In Mark Baurerlien's new book, "The Dumbest Generation" he crowns my generation as being the dumbest generation. While Bauerlein does have some valid points, I believe he is wrong. Our generation does have its faults but I feel that he is out of touch. He criticizes our generation for being on our cell phones twenty four/ seven, especially after classes. What I do not think he realizes that we are talking to friends and/or family and in his day he was doing the same thing but without the technology. He complains about our technology usage but we did not invent the technology. His generation made it possible for us to stay this connected with people. If he needs someone to blame he can blame Bill Gates and Steve Jobs for being the technology geniuses that they are.

Our generation has different focuses than his does. We are more connected to our technology, music and movies than to literature and ancient cultures. I personally love to read and do know a lot about literature. If Jay Leno would have asked me those questions, I would have been able to answer all of them. Not every person in my generation knows it but there are a few of us who do. Literature and culture are not emphasized in our culture and I believe that part of the blame should go to his generation. I realize that we do hold part of the blame for mot taking the initiative but his generation should have made a point of putting more a an emphasis on these classics.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. It's not our generations fault completely. I mean yes we do have some faults in the matter, but the blame cannot be placed soley on us. I like the part of how you said that if he wants to blame people for the way we are always using technology he should blame his generation. That point is completely true. I would also say that how he says we are using our technology 24/7 some of his generation is doing just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with both you and Christine. That it is not our generations fault...we do have our own problems but we don't chose what we get to learn about in school or what technology is or isn't allowed.

    ReplyDelete