Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Fahrenheit 451

In reading Fahrenheit 451 the reader caught a glimpse of a society that is scared of books because of the ideas they pose. That is not what people are told however. They are told books were banned because people were always offended by books and the stereotypes created by them. This society was also scared of people who thought differently. An example of this was Clarisse. Clarisse was a free thinker who asked questions that made people uncomfortable like Guy. She asked Guy if he knew that at one point in history firemen were used to put fires out not start fires. That question got Guy thinking and reexamining his life so far. He decides that books are not as bad as everyone thinks and completely changes his life.

All in all I was not a fan of Fahrenheit 451. The story did not capture my interest and I also did not like the disappearance of Clarisse. She was the person who got Guy to examine his life and she just vanished. She could have played a much bigger part in the story but was reduced to just a minor character.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I really wish Clarisse would have remained in the text for a little longer. I feel that since she was a huge impact on Montag's change in thought she would have been a major character. All in all the book was "okay", but I probably would not have chose this unless it was assigned to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they wanted to control everyone and didn't want people getting ideas into other people's heads like Clarisse started to do. I think if Clarisse was in the story maybe a bit more it would have been better too, but at the same time I think the author used her as a point to show that the government got rid of anyone who may stir up trouble. They didn't want people thinking freely like she was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea that does happen a lot that not all books can grasp your interest, I think that I was more into this one than "Clockwork Orange" than this book but all in all it was cool..and I agree about Clarisse she would of made the novel more intersting but then again I think she would of died in a fire cause I think they were after he family next..

    ReplyDelete